Saturday, May 8, 2010

Yarn and beads and sewing machine ... oh my!

So here I am ... hot glue gun and knitting needles in hand, ready to take over the crafting world.

My etsy store is up and running, and thanks to craigslist I have collected such a stash of supplies, trinkets and goodies that I've had to give some of it away lest I be buried in a pile of yarn, fabric, lace and ribbon deeper than I could ever craft my way out of.

Now what?

Well, I've been doing a lot of crocheting. Some knitting and sewing. Made some jewelry. Have plans and ideas for dozens more projects.

But what to do with it all?

Sell it seems to be a good answer. People have responded positively to my creations and extra money is always a good thing.

With my hubby's support and encouragement (he made my logo too!) I started an etsy shop. Might post some things on ebay. Beyond that, I really don't have any idea.

Do you have any idea how many people are making and selling crafts? And some of them are making incredibly beautiful arts and crafts. How do I start out, get noticed, not to mention just stay motivated to keep going. (I have yarn everywhere and hot glue suck to my fingernails!!)

And how do I keep up a blog too? How do I make it interesting, besides my sparkling wit and charm? I suppose I'll figure it out as I go along and hopefully keep it interesting for everyone.

In the meantime, I'm reading a good book to get me started - "The Handmade Marketplace" by Kari Chapin. I reccomend it to other crafters out there looking for ways to display and sell your work. I also reccomend checking out craigslist for crafty freebies.

My goals for today:
* Finish the strange-looking hat I started. (My own design - it's ... interesting. Or just weird.)
*Check out the web site for our local county fair to see options for entering crafts.
*Come up with a cool tagline or signout for this blog ... just cause I think that would be cool.

No comments:

Post a Comment